What an amazing outcome for the first ever AIECon last weekend. We had over 18 sessions across the various Con tracks that were attended, viewed and reviewed by hundreds (or something like that since we didn’t track it all that close across all the Twitch streams, video views, etc.). By all accounts, it was a fun, lively event that spanned a whole bunch of activities we don’t get to do as often.
Big thanks to the team that spent weeks planning and organizing, promoting and running the event. Core team and game/track runners included, Sema, Looci, Marcus, Dankina, Corley, Gusty, Syreyne, Tetsemi, Albus, Velazarius, Bhock, Catavarie, Grebog, Duskmire, Fez, StupidGenius, Pelell, Maellung, Mew and many more who researched options, ran surveys, play-tested games and tools, ran comms, and kept the event going. Let them know you appreciate their work on this.
Also thanks to all of the AIE attendees and guests who joined us to play, hang out, chat online, promote on social, etc. Without you all it wouldn’t have been a con!
Here are some resources if you’d like to catch up on anything you missed:
- The AIE Podcast live on Sunday walked through a summary of the events including screenshots of many of the sessions. You can find the Podcast recording audio and video links here: https://aie-guild.org/blog/2021/01/the-aie-podcast-359-the-long-con/
- This is the PDF of the summary deck that was presented during the AIE Podcast live on Sunday: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zdh3BvgS-18cgcftyp9MJFsU9eumujpD/view?usp=sharing
Main Stage Events
- Guild Town Hall event kickoff: https://youtu.be/DMX8_ibS0QM This covered guild news and division notes in general and then a dive into the event overview. We only do full a full Town Hall a few times a year so this is a definite must watch to be up to speed on all things AIE.
- Joint Working Class Nerds and SWTOR Escape Pod Cast con edition show: http://www.newoverlords.com/swtor-escape-pod-cast-368-aieconwinter2021/ and https://workingclassnerdscom.wordpress.com/ Marcus, Nick, Sema and Max teamed up with each of their AIE based SWTOR podcasts for a special AIECon edition, live from the con
- Board Gaming Industry Panel: https://youtu.be/font_9lRnUY AIE’s Albus hosted a Q&A talking all things board games with industry guests, David Gregg (designer of Nightfall), Dustin Staats (founder of Board Gaming with Education), and Joe Ellis (game designer at Plaid Hat Games)
- Indy Games Dev Panel: https://youtu.be/weM9lQ3c8q4 Marcus hosted a Q&A talking about indy video game development with game dev Nick Iorfino from Bactrain Games
Casual Games Track
- Shout out to Dankinia who organized this track and pulled in game runners Stu and Pelell to run at least 4 casual JackBox sessions with a bit of AmongUs tossed in.
- Sample session: https://youtu.be/_tmTvcm4vGI
- More at: https://www.twitch.tv/dankinia
Board Games Track
- Shout out to Albus who organized this track and pulled in game runner Velazarius and our industry guests for our series of board game sessions.
- Forgotten Waters game session: https://youtu.be/ZHGSGJC8Gx8
- Shout out to Corley who instigated this track in early planning with Grebog and our DMs who planned, play tested, designed, and hosted the event D&D sessions, Bhock, Catavarie, Dusmire
- Bhock Goblin Adventure 1: https://youtu.be/1BEL-chgArg
- Bhock Goblin Adventure 2: https://youtu.be/AJ4xZdWcrtc
- Duskmire Frozen Zombies: https://youtu.be/P7QwuyfMevA
This is a triumph. I’m making a note here, “huge success!”–GLADOS