On this episode of The AIE Podcast…
- Mewkow: Patches galore
- Tetsemi: Tuesdays are for going to Mordor
- Mkallah: We have Captain Cyby’s STO update
- Mewkow: What happened in 2016!
- Tetsemi: What we are doing in 2017!
All that and more coming up right now…
Welcome to episode #266 of the the podcast celebrating the Alea Iacta Est gaming community, the die has been podcast. This is Mkallah: To my left is Mewkow – (catch phrase here) and to my right is Tetsemi (Say something about spreadsheets, Tet). This week we are flying sans guest as we start off a new year with a little bit of recapping last year and talk about what we’ve been doing on holiday break. Welcome chat room!
We are our own guests tonight, chatting about AIE in 2016 and what we are looking forward to in 2017. We will be doing that shortly, but first- the news!
Just a reminder that the Nomads’ Minecraft server has been shut down, but Stigg has made the world files available to anyone who wants them, be warned, it’s a large (5.8 G) download. Link can be accessed in the forum post in the Nomads section of the forums – http://forum.myextralife.com/topic/57344-shutting-down-the-nomads-minecraft-server/
Are you ready for some football, I mean Nighthold? Patch 7.1.5 drops on Tuesday, make sure you have any important world quests completed before patch day as world quests will be changing then. The Brawler’s guild is returning, Mists of Pandaria dungeons added to the Timewalking event, micro holidays are being introduced (check your in game calendar for dates), and a large number of class changes (especially to secondary stats). A link to the details is in the show notes https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20457780/patch-7-1-5-arrives-on-january-10
Another big change, especially for those people with Altitis that have been feeling a bit left out this expansion cycle, is the ability to catch up on Artifact Knowledge. If you have a character at AK 25, you will be able to purchase tomes for order hall resources that allow your alts to catch up to AK 20. A good write-up on the process is available over on WoWHead – http://www.wowhead.com/artifact-knowledge-guide – many thanks to Perculia for her hard work on writing and keeping this guide up to date with the changes.
Also, this gives everyone that’s doing progression raiding, about a week to get adjusted to the new changes in their classes as the Nighthold raid opens on January 17th, just one week after the 7.1.5 patch drops.
Want to hangout with a bunch of guildies and give the Alliance leader’s some heartburn? Join Grimcow on January 15th for a return of C.O.O.P. Details can be found in the forums – http://forum.myextralife.com/topic/57373-coop-january-2017-edition/
With the passing of Carrie Fisher, many groups and guilds held an in game vigil at House Organa in game. MassivelyOP captured some screenshots of the event – http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/27/star-wars-the-old-republic-players-pay-tribute-to-carrie-fisher/ and the AIE Guild participated as well.
And with the new year comes a new episode of the Escape Pod Cast, SWTOR Escape Pod Cast 176: 2017 Predictions. This week @AIESema, @MaxTheGrey and Astromech EPC-176 kick off 2017 with wishes and predictions for the year from us and the rest of the SWTOR community.
This weeks Mandatory Fun Night will be held on the Republic Side and I’ve heard rumors that there will be a party on the guild ship to unlock a new room. Make sure you check the forums and the AIE Discord #swtor channel for more information!
Are you a casual FFXIV player but looking to upgrade your gear? Thanks to Natsume Meiken in AIE Discord’s #ffxiv channel, who linked to a Reddit post on how to gear as a casual player – https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/5kuyag/34_an_updated_casuals_guide_to_gearing_up_from/
Want to find out what’s all in patch 3.5 that’s dropping on January 17th? Take a look at the official Youtube posting here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kA9aAdIDG0 as well as joining us on January 22nd on the podcast when we will have Abovan and crew joining us to discuss this upcoming patch and what the guild has planned.
Are you interested in a class on The Lord of The Rings? Well have we got an event for you. On January 3rd, LOTRO launched a new program called “Exploring The Lord of the Rings” with founder and president Corey Olsen, The Tolkein Professor, who will teach a details, chapter-by-chapter couse on The Lord of the Rings … in LOTRO on Tuesday evenings at 9:30 pm EST. He will spend about an hour and a half discussing the book chapter and its themes, reading passages and doing some close reading so that participants can really get into the story as it unfolds. For the final portion of the class, in-game participants will take a “field trip” to visit the places connected with the part of the book just discussed to examine both the visual adaptation and the related quests and story lines.
We have Captain Cybyl’s Star Trek Online News Summary for week ending 1/8/2017:
1. No major missions have been released over the holidays, but a major story arc is expected to be released sometime in February, which coincide with the 6th anniversary of Star Trek Online and typically accompanied by a free anniversary starship and other giveaways. Stay tuned for more news as it becomes available.
2. Q’s Winter Event will be ending Thursday, January 12th, so there is still time to accumulate the remaining prize vouchers for a starship and other great prizes. This is also a last chance to participate in Klingon Smash ’n Grab Ice Fishing.
3. A 4th backstory, ‘Tales from K13’, was been posted on the website blog. Having survived an unexpected time jump to 700 years in the past, we learn the sad yet heroic fate of the surviving 3 Federation crew members that could not go into stasis on Star Base K13. This series of stories are true to the highest standards of Star Trek and also an immersive must-read. As before, this Captain shall refrain from spoilers.
4. Fixer-upper Star base K13, a playable and upgradeable star base available to AIE fleet holders, needs your help. Several level unlock upgrades have been released which means mats and duty officers are needed to be contributed to get the station to a more useable level as a fleet hangout. After 700 years, make Starbase K13 great again!
5. Sad news to report. In September, STO, Cryptic Studios, Perfect World and CBS announced a partnership with Eucled to allow players the ability to 3D print their own personal starships as a durable plastic model. Well, the company providing this service has gone bankrupt. The STO community is devastated. For now, this service shall not be available in the foreseeable future .
6. Don’t forget: The AIE Fleet’s original Star Base, as well as Star Base K13, are always seeking contributions of materiel. Do your part by checking out current donation requests in the Fleet’s in-game menu.
7. Once again, please check out news, backstories, patch notes, forums, commentary, and other goodies at the Star Trek Online website .
And with that, let’s discuss what happened last year in AIE, what we’re currently up to, and what we’re looking forward to this year as well.
Theme#1: “What happened in 2016?”
Blizzcon and AIE guild hall
AIE Moving chat more to Discord
WoW Legion expansion launched
WoW Guild banks- new member welcome kits- available on tab one for newbie- bags and starting equipment
SWTOR – Knights of the Eternal Throne launched
GW2 – Heart of Thorns Chapter 3 launched
Theme #2: “What we are looking forward to in 2017”
Mew: WoW: 7.1.5, 7.2, 7.3; SWTOR: Uprisings; FF14: 3.5 -Far edge of fate-;
Mew: D3 Necromancer; FF14: Stormblood
Mew: KH2.8(KH3?), ME: Andromeda, South Park
Mew: Nerdtacular 2017(future of nerdtacular events), Blizzcon 2017
Getting back into gaming, playing more WOW and more SWTOR, because right now, my mind is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Nerdtacular- the nerd family reunion was greatly missed
More local AIE meetups
50 shades darker…. Just kidding!
All things Star Wars-
All things Marvel-Thor- Guardians- Spiderman
Dankinia and Elcarth’s wedding this summer
RPG via docs and roll 20 and at our dining room table
Focusing on writing, no matter what
Phx CC – vending again with Nevermore and I will probably have Leontine’s fabboo chainmail lightsaber keychains
Arv – Shoutout to some guy named @Tetsemi for all his work in SWtOR and becoming an “official” officer.
Ralff – Shoutout to Diablo on his/her 20th anniversary!
Get Your Crit Together is looking for new members.
And that’s our show for tonight. While the chatroom begins suggesting show titles, we want to thank YOU for joining us. Oh, and if you have suggestions of what YOU, the members of AIE, want to see in 2017 for the podcast, let us know!
If you have a question or comment about our show, you can email us at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Twitter. The show is at @aiepodcast. Mew is at @themewkow. Mkallah is at @cyberwaif,and Tetsemi is at @ivorytiger. We record live with video every other Sunday at 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific. You can join the chatroom and play along with us on our website at https://aie-guild.org/podcast-live-stream/ and our Discord server for chat at https://bit.ly/AIEPodcastDiscord . Our theme was composed by the amazing Andrew Allen, follow him at @keyswithsoul! or visit his website http://keyswithsoul.com!
And now it’s time to play all of the great AIE member segment we received this week, including- hey, no segments, but we are happy to play segments as you guys create them! Next time, we’ll be talking to the gang from FF14. So until then, AIE…
– This is Tetsemi
– This is Mewkow
– This is Mkallah
And this has been…
The AIE Podcast.